WRAS is abbreviated of Water Regulations Advisory Scheme in UK. The complied materials and products can be accepted by countries of UK, federal United Kingdom and east south of Asia etc. WRAS have two parts, nonmetal materials approval and mechanical test. Approved materials and items can be listed in WRAS directory of website and public books for water suppliers and users reference.
Two parts of WRAS
1 Non-metal Materials according to BS6920:2000
Non-metallic material include contacted water components and materials like pipes, faucet, valves, rubbers, plastics, solvents etc
The test items including:
- Odour and flavour of water: This test is assesses the ability of a product to impart a discernible odour and flavour to water. The test is carried out using chlorinated and non-chlorinated water.
- Apperence of Water: This test is assesses the ability of a product to impart any noticeable colour or turbidity to water. It requires any increase of colour and turbidity of the final extract from the product must be less than 5 Hazen units and 0.5 FNU respectively.
- Growth of Aquatic Microorganisms: This test is assesses the ability of a product to promote a significant degree of growth aquatic microorganisms when in contact with water. The MDOD between the water in contact with the product and negative control system should be less than 1.7mg-1.
- The extraction of substances that may be of concern to public health: This is simple cytotoxicity based screening test and exaction procedure designed to assist in totoxictiy assessment of products.
- Extraction of metal: This test is assesses the leaching of metals from the product into water.
2 Mechanical Test
WRAS have several approved test labs for applicants to choose. The test specifications are based on BS standards or regulations. WRAS will issue the certificate according to TAG meet discussion if non-metallic tests and mechanical tests passed.
The products include faucet, tap, pipe, water instrument, valve, flowmeter, sanitary, pan, washing machines or dishwasher etc.
Applicant or manufacturers should submit following documents for WRAS application:
1) Applicant name, address, contact information；
2) Component name, part number, supplier information；
3) Drawings and two items catalogues
4) For non-metallic materials, the chemical composition should be provided.
5) Products size and applied usage for family application
Remark: For big and heavy product, Shanghai Magic can invite WRAS test engineer to carry out witness test in plant.